The 50 traditional rulers who have issues with Governor Rochas Okorocha, are in for fresh trouble as they have been denied their monthly stipends.
According to one of the traditional rulers, Eze Donald Nnabue, “this latest action is a pointer to what would have befallen us if we had appeared before the illegal panel set up by Eze Sam Ohiri”.
While saying that the 40 monarchs who dragged Governor Rochas Okorocha to court, have vowed to pursue their case to a logical conclusion, despite the palpable intimidation they are facing, the royal father however reasoned that the defendants had already made their conclusions on what to do with them before inviting them to the panel.
When pressed further to prove his allegation of non-payment of their stipends, Eze Nnabue said that on Friday last week, they received a text message which read: “please come on Monday for your April and May cheques at the Parliament but on getting there, the cashier told us that they had instruction not to pay us”.
The monarchs accused Eze Ohiri of ensuring that this punitive action against them are carried out to the letter but restated that they will not be deterred.
“This is a fight between justice and rule of law against injustice and impunity. We remain unshaken”, the royal father said.
Feelers emanating from government circles maintained that the punishment for the traditional rulers have been categorized.
It was gathered that the royal fathers who appeared before the Panel will have their six months allowances seized, while the 40 monarchs that went to court will not be paid for one year.
Similarly, the four first class traditional rulers that were earlier suspended by government would not be paid for two years.
Vanguard recalls that this development was playing out despite a restraining order by an Owerri High Court, presided over by Hon. Justice Ngozi Ukoha.
The court had on June 23, 2015, ordered Governor Okorocha, Eze Samuel Ohiri and eight other defendants, to respect the pendency of the suit before the Court by refraining from doing anything punitive against the 40 monarchs.
The Court also reiterated this order on July 8, 2015 when the matter also came up for hearing.Vanguard